Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Guatemala SOS Trip - Day 3

At the end of the day a group of teenage boys with special needs came to get their new shoes. At this point we had put hundreds of shoes on kids feet so the washing part had become a little more routine to me. As I was washing the feet of this precious boy I looked up at him and saw his face beaming from ear to ear as he looked at the new shoes that were about to go on his feet. All of a sudden something very powerful hit me. This week we have talked about the verses in the bible that say "many who are last will be first" and "whatever you did for the least of these of these brothers of mine you did for me." This boy whose feet I was washing is not only an orphan but hes an orphan with disabilities. He has been completely rejected and cast aside by this world and by his own family. He is the "least of these" and the "last."

Suddenly it hit me that this boy is going to be chosen to be first in the kingdom of heaven and I realized what an honor it was to sit on my knees before him and serve him by washing his feet. Instead of rushing through it like I may have done before I started washing every inch of his feet and made sure to clean each little toe. My heart was filled with joy as I looked at his beaming face to know that I had been given an opportunity to serve such a precious soul and I truly felt honored. It was one of the most powerful moments of my life.

-Amy Kraus

No comments: